I decided one day that I wanted to be slightly more adventurous with my curries. Normally, I just have chicken or vegetable, so I decided to search out a recipe for a beef curry. When I eventually found one over at the BBC, I knew that it would be easy to adapt to be Slimming World friendly.
I was pleased with the result, and I’ll make it again soon. I do still automatically default to vegetable or chicken but that will take a while to change. It is very easy to make in the slow cooker too, taking a lot of the effort out of the recipe. Just throw everything in and leave to cook. Absolutely perfect!
The recipe does call for a lot of ingredients. However, they are mostly spices that will become store cupboard staples that you will use time and time again. Also, while the recipe calls for beef steak, I can confirm that this works just as well with cheaper cuts of meat!
- 400g beef steak, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 3 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 125g fat-free fromage frais
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Salt and sweetener to taste
- Spray a lidded frying pan with some Frylight. Add the beef and fry until lightly browned on all sides, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan with extra Frylight if required and fry over a low heat until soft.
- Turn the heat up slightly, add the spices and fry for 1 minute.
- Return the beef to the pan, add the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the yoghurt and vinegar, and season to taste with the salt and sweetener.
- Return the pan to the heat, bring back to the boil and simmer, covered, for 1.5 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Serve on a bed of rice.
Are there any foods that your brain tells you that you don’t like, when in fact you do? What’s your favourite sort of curry? Let me know in the comments below!