BBQ Pulled Pork
We are a family that love diner food. It hasn’t helped us much since most of it is very heavy in calories due to the fat, the sauces and extra cheese. My husband tends to gravitate towards BBQ foods such as ribs, or pulled pork so when I found this recipe, I was really excited for him!
It does take quite a bit of preparation, for the marinating and such as, it really is worth the effort if you enjoy pulled pork. At only 1 syn per portion, its much better than store bought versions and really is just as tasty. The recipe calls for a slow cooker, but alternatively, you could cook in a covered dish in the oven at 140-C/215″ F/Gas Mark 1 for about 6-8 hours, basting with the sauce until the meat is tender. The art of food like this, really is in the slow cooking.
This would also be really good food for a slimming world friendly barbecue, more than tasty enough for the non-slimmers. As always, protect your weight loss and double check the syn values! If they aren’t correct, please let me know!
BBQ Pulled Pork
Syns: 1 syn per serving (8 syns total)
1.5-2kg (3-4lb) boneless pork shoulder
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
8 tbsp passata
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp paprika
4 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp dark muscovado sugar (6 syns)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 tsp Dijon mustard (2 syns)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients except the pork in a bowl and mix well.
- Spread the sauce thickly over the pork in the bowl, cover with cling film and leave it to marinate in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Transfer into a slow cooker and place on the low heat setting for 8-10 hours, without opening the lid, or until the pork is very tender.
- Once cooked, remove the pork from the slow cooker or oven and leave it to rest for about 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, pour the liquid into a small pan and skimming off any fat that can be seen. Boil to reduce and thicken slightly.
- Use 2 forks to shred the meat into small pieces and stir into the sauce.
- Serve hot in a HEXB bun, along with Slimming World coleslaw and chips
Have you made the pulled pork? How did you serve yours? Let me know in the comments below!